Monday, July 28, 2008

Technique Challenge

Mosaic Background ATCs


Here is a new technique you can try. I call it Mosaic Background ATCs. I started with some colorful cardstock. This is a great technique to use up those paper scraps you have laying around. I cut the cardstock into 1 inch strips and then cut the strips into 1 inch squares. Now take a 2 1/2 in. x 3 1/2 in. blank ATC; this can be an old playing card or another piece of cut scrap. You will need to spread craft glue, glue stick, crafting medium etc. onto the whole card. I do it this way so I'm not gluing on one square at a time which takes a lot of time. I put my ATC into my Xyron 500 Create A Sticker (Let me know if you want me to order you one of these sticker makers; they fit a trading card perfectly.), then peel it off the paper. The sticker maker has now added sticker adhesive to one whole side. Now with glue on your whole card.......





Start at the top corner and arrange your cut 1 in. squares onto the ATC. Let the first one hang over a bit. Arrange the rest of them into the color scheme that you want, but remember this is your background, so just have fun placing them in any color order. Once you have placed your last square, turn your ATC over. Next, take your scissors and trim off the paper that is hanging over the edge of your ATC card. You can now stamp on an image, add some doodles or rub-ons. I just stamped on the words, "Live, Laugh, Love"



Now that you have an amazing mosaic background, you can now create your ATC. I added some stacked Prima Flowers and attached it with a white brad. I then cut and attached some poke-a-dot sheer green ribbon under the flower. I stamped the butterfly (stamp by Whipper Snapper) with Stazon ink, colored it with colorful markers to match my background, cut it out, and added a touch of glitter to make it sparkle. I then put a Pop-dot under the butterfly to make it stand out.



I drew my doodles on after I had attached my flower and butterfly. It was an afterthought, and it should have been done before I added the other things. Well, it shows I'm not perfect.


There you go. Give it a try. Post the ATC that you made using the Mosaic Background Technique into the store gallery, or send it to me by email (yourATCstore@comcast.net - mark the email "Mosaic Background", along with your snail mail addy. I will then send you a bunch of the mosaic 1 in. squares that I used in creating this artist trading card. I'll even post a copy of it into the blog; with your permission, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how clever!! I love turning the inchies into an ATC idea!! TFS!! :)